Potty training is a major concern for many parents. We received several questions from parents where they have asked about the right age to potty train their child. The most appropriate answer to this question would be – there is no any right age to potty train your child. However, there are some signs that will help you decide when to start potty training your child. It’s important that you follow a plan that works best for you and your child.
When to Start Potty Training: Look for Signs of Readiness
It’s important to start potty training your child when they are physically, mentally, or emotionally ready. Here are a few signs you should look for in your child before you start to potty train them:
- They can stay dry for two hours.
- They go to the bathroom regularly at a specific time.
- They start giving you clues that they are about to go to the bathroom.
- They can pull their clothes up and down by themselves.
When Not to Push Your Child into Potty Training
Even though your child is showing signs of readiness; there are times when you should not push your child into potty training:
- Moving to a new place or house
Tips to Help You Get Started
It’s important that you follow a plan that works best for you and your child. Here are a few tips to help you make the process easier for you and your child:
- Make training as natural as possible.
- Keep a positive attitude.
- Use words of encouragement and praise your child for their success.
- Establish a fixed routine.
- Be a role model. Talk to your child about the process whenever you go to the washroom.
What Not to Do
Remember you need your child’s cooperation in the process. If your child is resisting training or you feel frustrated, it’s time to wait until your child is more open to the idea or you regain your patience. Here’s what you should not do while potty training your child:
- Don’t force or push your child.
- Don’t punish your child in case of failed attempts.
- Don’t compare them with other children.
- Don’t worry if your child is still not ready.
Let your child work on their own pace. Once they are fully trained, you can prepare them for preschool by helping them make the shift from the potty to the washroom.
About Pacific Preschool & Kindergarten
Pacific PreSchool & Kindergarten is one-of-a-kind preschool and child care center in San Marcos, California. Their goal is to provide an early childhood education program to little children so that it satisfies their physical, socio-emotional and child development needs in a progressive way. Lynda Way, the owner of Pacific PreSchool & Kindergarten, makes use of her 40 years of professional knowledge in childhood development and truly loves what she does.
- Web |
- More Posts (149)